Reading Recap

Saturday, August 13, 2016




Hi Everyone!

Just stopping by with a couple of mini reviews for what I have been reading lately :) 

Borges and the Eternal Orangutans
Do you like a quick read? A mystery? Then this may be the book for you. In this book we are introduced to Vogelstein, a pretty introverted guy who unexpectedly finds himself in the middle of a murder case. This case is like no other. I suspect that others who have read Borges or more of Poe’s books than I have, would enjoy this book more than I did. I liked it just fine, but I am sure that there are things that they would pick up on that I am just not familiar with. I appreciated the setting as it always takes me to new place and I appreciate that. An interesting book.

Hilo: Saving the Whole Wide World
In this cute graphic novel, we meet Hilo who is a robot. In Hilo’s quest to be with his new friends, he often gets himself into mischief and it causes for an interesting story. The illustrations and story were both well written and I enjoyed this book.

Primates of Park Avenue
In this memoir about the women (and mothers) of the Upper East Side in NY, we get a better understanding of the world in which they live and operate. It was an eye opening book for me because I grew up as different as that as imagined. That said, I appreciated the opportunity to learn about this culture and have a better respect for the ‘norms’ of these women. An interesting read.

The Merlot Murders
I picked up this book because it is set in Virginia and recommended to me. I don’t read a lot of murder/thriller books, but I appreciated and enjoyed this one. The book is the story of Lucie who has just found out that her father has died in an accident. When it turns out that it was not an accident and there has been some drama related to the sell of the vineyard, it turns into a story. I enjoyed the book and how Lucie works to find out the truth.

Sisters
In another book by the talented Raina, we get to explore the relationship she has with her sister. I enjoyed this because it sometimes reminded me of my own! I could relate on many accounts, but especially on how sisters will do what they want not what you want and the fact that everything changes with a new sibling comes around. I enjoyed the illustrations and the book.

The Nocturnals: The Ominous Eye
This is the story of three friends : Dawn, Tobin, and Bismark. In this book, they have to figure out what has caused the destruction of the earth, but soon they meet Polyphema who tells them about the beast. The story is witty and cute. The animals reach out to others and get their support to help them get the beast. This book is written at the middle grade level and I appreciate that.

Tales from the Scaremaster: Werewolf Weekend
Emma and Sam start to experience some crazy things when they discover a new book, the Tales from the Scaremaster. It takes some work, but they have to discover what it is that happening and why these things keep appearing before them. The book is listed as having a similar feel to the Goosebumps books and I get that from reading it too. I appreciated the opportunity to read and review this book.

You Will Not Have My Hate
This is a book that pays tribute to Helene Muyal-Leiris who has a victim of a terrorist attack and her husband’s attempt to deal with it. This is not an easy task considering they have a young child. As the author recounts the tragedy of what happened, I was moved to tears. This book is heart breaking and beautiful. It is unfortunate that takes such an act to make such a profound impact. This book was awesome and I am so glad that I had a chance to read this one.

 Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS